Annual Meeting Minutes - July 31, 2021
Held outside at Michigamme Lake Pavilion
1. Call to Order –Introductions of current Board- Karen Johnson, Lisa Blondeau, Neil Hanson, Dixon
Holmgren, Nancy Bergin, Bob Hill, Greg Murphy, Greg Meyer, Dan Ostola, Susan Alexander, Pam
Borlace, Jim Gusitis and Larry Sparks
President Karen Johnson brought attention to two fund raising groups at the meeting. Charlie
Gardner and Joseph Sweidel are selling chances to win an assortment of Lottery Tickets.
Proceeds are for the Fourth Of July, 2022. Charlie also explain the reason for this years canceling
of festivities was the inability to sell food, which is the main fund raiser for continuing yearly.
Also, Bill Seppanen, has Sesquicentennial Buttons for sale. Also, the new portable sound system,
partially paid for by a donation from the LMPO, is being used today.
2. Michigamme and Republic Township Reports – attached is the full report from Bill Seppanen.
Jim Brennon Republic Supervisor gave a report on the township. Points made included:
- The hiring of a new assessor
- Town is getting cleaned up
- Township government will be for the people
- The mine is giving 35 lots for development
- B & B Renter rules will be created in conjunction with the State Rules
- Fishing Derby was a success
- The 151 st celebration will be held August 28th
. Kids games, bands ,street closed, parade.
- Heritage Trail
- Granite Lake – will have solar in the future which would benefit School.
3. Treasurer Report – Pam Borlace reported that as of July 24, 159 of 318 property owners have
returned their Dues. Presented were two years of fiscal year end reports. Motion was made by
Skip Archabald and supported by John Blanck
4. Secretary's Report - Lisa Blondeau presented the minutes from the July 2019 Annual Meeting.
Karen Johnson reminded the members to keep their address current. A motion was made by
Susan Allaben to accept the minutes as presented. Kathy Hanson supported. Motion carried.
5. President's Report - Karen Johnson thanked the members who handle the buoys in the spring
and the fall. The Pontoon, which was donated many years ago, by current board member Susan
Alexander's father, Parker Knox, has been restored. The Buoy Crew refurbished the decking,
console and seats this past winter. Dan Ostola and his son, Jim Gusitis and Tom Farley handled
the setting of the Buoys this spring. The 2020 Annual meeting was canceled. The current board
agreed to extend their term all one year.
Adopt a Highway is a very important part of our group.
There are between 10-15 bags of garbage removed from the two mile stretch at each cleaning.
The next meeting to collect will be September 25th, 2021.
The Fish Crib project has been put on hold do to Covid and waiting on the DNR for further information. The Musky survey, included in
the membership, mailing was not returned by many lake owners. There was 325 letters sent and 56 responses received. 33 not in favor, 15 in favor and 8 with no opinion. Also mentioned was the planting of 5000 Splake into the lake on May 13, 2021. This was a one time plant. The DNR needed a place and decided Lake Michigamme.
James Coughlin inspected the dam and reported in February 2021. His opinion is that it is functioning as a spill way and not a dam.
There is the possibility that we could have it recategorized and avoid the five year inspection cost. There is no easement to access the location. Letters were sent to have the owners consider allowing an easement. No response was received as of this meeting.
LMPO has 238 Facebook Friends. Please consider joining and also the www.lmpowners.org and the townships websites. Finally, the board approved $1400.00 towards upgrading the townships sound system in the Community Building, with Superior Electronics. Hopefully we will hear the difference at the next Annual Meeting. Thank you.
6. New Business - Four board members are at their term. Pam Borlace, Larry Sparks, Dixon Holmgren and Greg Murphy. Pam Borlace does want to continue, along with the following gentlemen: Al Dausman, Ken Farley and Scott Lyman. A Motion was made to accept the four to join the board. Supported by Jackie Spier. Motion Carried.
7. Adjournment – Motion by Jackie Spier with support by Skip Archibald to close the meeting. Motion Carried.