Welcome to the U.P.!
Are you new to our lake? Have you had any changes to your contact information? LMPO needs to have the correct information.
(Select Around Town at top * Click on Contact Form * Fill it out and SUBMIT)
What do you see from your area?
(you can either post pictures on the LMPO FB page or send them directly to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Let's see how many people join us!
Several of you have added to our 'fun'. Keep those pictures coming.
Memorial Day Observance
Why join the LMPO?
Here is what your dues provide
1. BUOYS - Take them out each fall, clean, repair, replace as needed and again put them out each summer. (Also the insurance and upkeep of the LMPO pontoon boat used.)
2. DAM - We pay taxes, maintenance and inspection (inspection was $1400 in 2022) for the dam property.
3. MAPS - We purchase lake maps for the membership every 5 years, and we distribute complimentary copies of the lake directory to dues paying members.
4. LAKE QUALITY - We also test multiple sites around the lake for coliform bacteria, and we pay for of the dam. We have funds earmarked for fish cribs, but progress has been limited by the DNR’s restrictive permitting.
5. SPECIAL PROJECTS - We also support special projects that benefit the community. We purchased the dock for the Michigamme Township Park and in 2022 we donated $1400 toward a modern sound system for the Township Hall’s gymnasium. We regularly donate to the July 4th Committee and the museum’s annual fundraisers.
6. MICHIGAMME MESSENGER - This is the yearly newsletter that was given out at the annual meeting. We unfortunately have had difficulty resurrecting the Michigamme Messenger. Any Volunteers?
7. ANNUAL MEETING- Last, but certainly important. The donuts, hot dogs and chicken for the meeting.
Minutes from the 2022 LMPO Annual meeting.
Miss the Trunk & Treat?
DUMPSTER DAYS ARE COMING!
Last couple days to order a Centennial Banner
Send any checks directly to the DDA at PO Box 233 Michigamme, MI 49861
Please mention 150 Banner in the subject line.
2022 LMPO map
Every five years we give each member a map of the lake. This year we were able to not only update the map, but also produce it in a smaller, color version that could even be taken out on the boat. ( The maps are printed on water and tear resistant paper.)
One map per dues paying household is provided free of charge. We have around 75 extras that may be purchased for $10. If you were unable to pick up your map, there will be an alternate date/time that will be posted on Facebook. The option of mailing your copy is available at an additional charge for the postage. Please contact us if you need to have yours mailed.
Helping us is Helping you!
The Michigamme-Spurr Fire Department is in the early stages of fundraising for a rescue boat! We are hoping to raise about $25,000 for a Whaly 500 Pro. It is a composite, foam filled boat that is unsinkable. Its front folds down like a landing craft making it easier to enter from shore and easier to pull people into from the lake.
With increased activity on all of our lakes in the past few years, comes the increasing need for this. Currently we use our own boats or wait 30 - 40 minutes for a rescue boat to come from Negaunee or L’Anse. We will also be able to use this boat to haul portable pumps, to supply water and fight fires.
We are in the process of brainstorming for fundraisers. We are also accepting donations. Any donations can be dropped off at Michigamme or Spurr township Halls, marked “rescue boat”. (Or sent in care of Michigamme Township at PO Box 220 Michigamme, MI 49861) I will keep everyone posted as we move forward. Thank you!
Glass recycle is currently open 8am-2pm Mon-Fri
Do you know we had 15 stars and 15 stripes on our flag?
Too many geese